Monitoring and Evaluation is important because:
- It provides the consolidated source of information showcasing program progress;
- It allows actors to learn from each other’s experiences, building on expertise and knowledge;
- It often generates (written) reports that contribute to transparency and accountability, and allows for lessons to be shared more easily;
- It reveals mistakes and offers paths for learning and improvements. It provides a basis for questioning and testing assumptions;
- It provides a means for agencies seeking to learn from their experiences and to incorporate them into policy and practice. It provides a way to assess the crucial link between implementers and beneficiaries on the ground and decision-makers;
- It adds to the retention and development of institutional memory;
- It provides a more robust basis for raising funds and influencing policy.
Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) System at Federal EPI Cell
At the Federal level, The Expanded program on Immunization make certain that the routine immunization must be improved subsequently, efforts are underway to improve the quality of reported data and its use at each level as a way to engage local staff to take greater ownership of the routine immunization (RI) program. Some serious efforts are underway to make sure that; the regular assessment of the data quality at different levels using the standard WHO Data Quality Self-assessment (DQA) tool must be used to help for the identification of the gaps in the routine immunization data monitoring and reporting system.Information generated from monitoring systems and surveys should be widely shared with all concerned stakeholders.
Improvement in Completeness and timeliness of reported EPI routine data is ensured. Introduction on new data reporting mechanism in the pipeline. More focus is paid on the accurate estimates so that to improve the forecast calculations for vaccines and ancillary item requirements, creating fewer stock-outs. The EPI limelight that the supervision and monitoring needs to be improved and restructured with the identification of supervisory staff categories for each staff level.